Wednesday 26 August 2015

Peru Boom: Bass, Bleeps & Bumps From Peru's Electronic Underground

Well, here's a rarity... No, not an ultra-sought-after 1st press of Tangerine Dream's debut album Phaedra (although that would be nice). Even rarer, a record that excites both your Curious Music correspondents in equal measure! As I'm writing this, I realise that we were both slobbering over the Kung Fury record from a few weeks back, but let's not let the truth get in the way of hyperbole...

"I'm going to get this" said Dann, emailing me a link to a new record. Usually, it's some difficult jazz or ultra-minimal drone music so I agree it's a cool record, but not one for me. This time, however, the title alone piqued my interest.

But before I investigate the record in question; an aside. I hate the term 'World' music. It's so patronising, like calling non-white people 'coloured'. At the risk of sounding trite, we're all in our own little patches of planet Earth, and using that term to describe music that's not British/American immediately puts it in the category of 'Other' - you might as well call it 'Funny Foreign Music'.
But I digress. My point is I really like discovering the sounds from far-flung nations, whether old or new, traditional or modern. Some of the most interesting and amazing music I've ever heard has been created when two cultures meet - Indigenous music influenced by a disparate sound, usually British/American music. There are countless examples throughout music history, from Jap-rock to Afro-disco. It's a trend that, with the information-sharing capabilities of the internet, has become even more prevalent in the modern age.

Nowhere is this better showcased than on Peru Boom: Bass, Bleeps & Bumps From Peru's Electronic Underground

At CMFCP we can't often be accused of being at the forefront of the hippest new global club music, but thanks to the aforementioned record, it seems we are! Dance music heavyweights such as Diplo and Major Lazer apparently hoover up the finest South American bass/electronic club music and bring it to mass audiences. We're not too sure how all that sort of thing works but what we hear is some highly unusual and captivating electronic music.
It's been a while since I went to a sweaty rave, which is partly because the music doesn't often appeal. The current crop of celebrated UK Bass artists rarely do it for me - without wishing to sound too much like an overly nostalgic old sod - I remember when club music made you want to dance.
Mount Kimbie would have been in the chillout room back in the 00's. I've nothing against him or his music, but I find it odd that these days he's main room fare.

By contrast, this Peruvian stuff would really get me hyped. (No, not that kind of Peruvian stuff)

2 tunes in and Deltatron's Ego Trip is an absolute banger; with Trap-style hats, 80s throwback synths, heavy 808 bass tones and a steadily ascending lead line that gets into your bones. I would lose my shit to this if I heard it on a big rig.
Qechaboi's Iseecumbiapeopleagain mixes Postal Service style beats with glitchy synths that wouldn't sound out of place on a Game Boy... but wraps it all in a Cumbia shuffle that's kind of the perfect example of what this Peruvian scene has to offer.
Peru Boom: Bass, Bleeps & Bumps From Peru's Electronic Underground has introduced me to new music from an area of the world not famed, traditionally, for pioneering advances in that regard. With acts like Animal Chuki, Tribilin Sound and Pirana Sound System demonstrating this kind of sure touch, it's a scene I will be paying close attention to from now on!

Available on Double-Vinyl with a sweet as fuck cover design, and available direct from Bandcamp or from most good online stores, Peru Boom: Bass, Bleeps & Bumps From Peru's Electronic Underground is highly recommended for anyone interested in electronic music. I can feel a trip to Peru brewing ...

Have a listen here:




Buy direct from Tigers Milk Records here https://tigersmilkrecords.bandcamp.com/album/peru-boom-bass-bleeps-bumps-from-perus-electronic-underground

In addition, there's a fascinating video documentary about the thriving Lima electronic music scene... check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment